So, hey. Next week’s Valentine’s Day.
I’m sure some of you are spending it with a special someone or with friends or the fam. But I’m also sure some of you will be like me, spending it alone. In my case, it’s just a typical day in the college life of Kate the Unicorn-wannabe. And I couldn’t care less about Valentine’s Day passing by uneventful.
But I realized not everyone is comfortable in their own company. I know a handful of people who feel so awkward by their own, they seek refuge in social media. (Yes, I’m talking about you, annoying but still ever beloved best friend. If you’re reading this, that is, hehe)
I guess the problem is some people think of alone and lonely as these same things.
Friends, they’re not.
And to prove it, I have a list of things you can do alone and not feel lonely. Because 1) it’s been soooo long since I made a really simple list post and 2) I know plenty so explaining them one-by-one would give you a 583209-word post. That’s more or less trilogy-length. And you wouldn’t want to read something that long, now would you?
Anyhoo, enjoy! 🙂
- Read your favorite book
- Take a short hike
- Photograph things – You don’t have to be an expert and you don’t even have to use a professional camera. Just take a picture of something with your phone or a point-and-shoot camera. Remember that the point here is to enjoy, okay?
- Watch your favorite movie
- Draw something – Again, don’t stress over how unrealistic your drawing may look. Just enjoy the creative process 🙂 Better yet…
- Create something – Any small creative projects are healthy! Not only do they keep your creative juices active, but they’re also quite relaxing. Take your pick!
- Do some stretching
- Blast on some good vibe music – And might I suggest to my fellow millennials, Disney songs? 😉
- DANCE – Whether you want to do it in public or in the comfort of your home is up to you hehe
- Cook or bake something for yourself – And to my fellow culinary newbies, try something you’re confident you won’t burn
- Start a journal
- Go jogging
- Play an instrument – And if like me, you don’t know any instrument, just belch out some notes with your very own vocal chords
- Clean your room
- Play a word puzzle or even try the Rubik’s Cube
- Go to a (safe) public place like the park or mall or the beach and people watch – I’m telling you this is way more fun than it sounds.
- Star gaze – Look for a place near you that’s perfect for it, I’m sure there is
- Stay at home when everyone else is out – Enjoy the quiet. This is my favorite thing to do alone and I’m seldom alone at home so I savor every chance I get.
These are gathered from years of personal experience and I like to think that I’m someone who’s comfortable in my own company. Still, what works for me may not work for you. But try out a few of these things. Or even think outside the box and do something else entirely! As long as you are enjoying yourself; that is the purpose of this post, anyway.
And also, you never know what you’ll enjoy doing alone unless you do try, yeah? 😉
How do you make time for yourself? What do you best like to do alone?
Happy Me Time, awesome peeps!